Old December 2nd 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

The distortion, ignorance of facts and double standards are nearing exceptional levels.

I am concerned that the US rules committee functions more like a "think tank" than a committee of ALL fellow soaring pilots.

1) It is an indisputable fact that the FAI Club Class is highly successful around the world IN EVERY SOARING COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE USA. Safety, participation and enjoyments are all very high at Club events. The USA has for many years chosen to disregard the world standards and run on its own with the entirely unique US Sports Class along with completely different rules for all other classes.

2) The ENTIRELY new class being recommended by the US Rules Committee for 2013 Nationals has virtually no similarity to the REST OF THE WORLD in any way other than stealing the Club Class name. This is a fact. Different rules, different handicap ranges, different tasking philosophy. It would be FAR LESS RISKY to simply adopt the same class guidelines (FAI Club) as are currently used WORLDWIDE! The US Rules committee has chosen, once again, to do something completely different than the rest of the world.

3) The Rules Committee has been asked for years to approve a US Club Class by US owners of FAI Club Class Gliders. They asked for a US Class which follows the basic guidelines of FAI Club Class. Many of these pilots who have been asking for the SSA to sanction a US Club Class are now very upset, as this is NOT what they asked for. Not even close. The rules committee seems to thumb its nose at these 30 (and growing) pilots. Many more will not sign a public petition or simply will continue NOT TO FLY US CONTESTS. Many of these pilots are or have been on the US World Team and seem to have some knowledge on the subject.

4) It seems as if this new class has more to do more with streamlining the new upper level of sports class (Discus 2 and up) by removing the bottom quarter of the handicap range (233, etc) than anything else, frankly. This might be the part where I should say "am I getting warmer?"

5) I cannot stress this one enough: You say WE are requesting "SOMETHING ENTIRELY NEW" for 2013 Nationals by arguing for much more adherence to the established FAI Club Rules. You say this means taking financial risk, etc? You tell us to ask for a waiver and do it at a regionals first. You tell me to PUT MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS??? Ill get back to that later.

In fact, it is the US RULES COMMITTEE which has (somehow) come up with the idea to propose something entirely new (and completely out of alignment with the rest of the World in terms of Club Class) for US National Championship for 2013 with a class that has never been attempted anywhere in the WORLD, EVER!

6) Running a US Club Class (FAI based) at SC Nationals next spring would be no more a challenge than introducing the entirely new class which you are proposing. It would be simple. No MATS. 50% AT, 50 AAT. Established Club Class handicap Range. Some slight modifications are fine, but that should be the basic model. That would be the FAR LESS RISKY OPTION. What planet are you from? It is MUCH MORE RISKY to try something entirely new and completely foreign from the REST OF THE WORLD...

Sean

F2