Old April 15th 05, 12:44 AM
William W. Plummer

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:JUz7e.14308$xL4.10941@attbi_s72...

Offensive? Sure. Surprising? Not in the least.

You're "offended" by my broadsiding the French?

How can it be that you are so surprised that I might take offense, and yet I
am not surprised at all that you might give it? I would have thought you'd
"know" me better by now.

I'm offended by any generalized denigration or unjustified stereotyping of
any broad group of people. You seem to do this a lot, and thus wind up
offending me on a fairly regular basis. You seem like a friendly enough
guy, which makes it just that much harder to understand how it is you seem
to have your head up your ass when it comes to acceptance and understanding
of opinions that differ from your own.

Your statement is certainly offensive to the French themselves, as well as
to anyone who keeps an open mind about how cultural, philosophical, or
political differences can exist without either group of people having those
differences being particularly more ignorant than the other.

Frankly, I think pretty much most people are stupid. It's anti-social of me
to have that opinion, I realize. In that respect, it might seem
hypocritical of me to be offended at you (essentially) calling another group
of people stupid. But, if the French are "dunderheads" as a group, they
certainly aren't unique in that respect. I'd say Americans are just as
dunderheaded as they are. Probably no more so, but certainly no less so.
The problem here isn't so much that you called the French stupid, but that
you seem to think we as Americans are somehow better than they are.

By the way, as long as we're talking about stupid people...I would much
rather interact with a stupid person who has a kind and generous heart, than
a smart person who constantly stereotypes and belittles those who are
different from him. Guess which kind of person you seem to me to be.

Pete

Your message is offensive. MYOB.