Old May 30th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Default Denver GA airport

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Really? wrote:
cpw wrote:
Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

Probably Stapleton aka the old Denver Airport.
It is very near downtown

Actually, it isn't near anything anymore. It's gone.

Gone, and then some, unfortunately...

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CO/....htm#stapelton

Though, if you have time, you could take a trip out there to
see what is left of the old field. The old Tower looks to be the only
thing left, but it could tell stories for the aviation history buffs..

What you'll see is the tower, the United training facility (full motion
sims for the jets United flys), a city-owned parking facility with
transportation out to DIA/DEN, mixed use suburbia - shopping, condos,
apartments, etc. One of the runways was dug up years ago. That's on
the south side it I-70. The north side of I-70 (yes, the taxiways did
go *over* I-70 - lots of fun to be driving and see a 747 taxiing above
you on the bridge...) is another large shopping complex.

However, from the air (and yes, as long as you stay below 8000 ft
or get clearance into Class B) you can fly over and see parts of
what's left. Altho the runways have been dug up, the dirt is still
there. And so's a county jail at the east end...)