Old October 29th 03, 02:18 AM
Del Rawlins

On 28 Oct 2003 03:49 PM, Dave Hyde posted the following:
John Stricker wrote:

If I'm going to by into something like an auto conversion, I want to
know how it's failed in the past JUST LIKE I KNOW HOW THE LYCOMINGS
AND CONTINENTALS HAVE FAILED BECAUSE IT'S PUBLIC RECORD FOR THE LAST
50 YEARS. I hope I didn't scare you with my shouting. 8-)

Not me, anyway, but I have an honest question: Do major
GA engine manufacturers make data on failures *in development*
available to the public? Can we see test-to-failure data
on the new engines Lycoming, Superior, Mattituck, etc.
are putting out for homebuilts? Where?

Seems to me what an auto conversion needs is a 'sugar daddy'
to put up big $$$ to fund develompent and testing testing testing.
I'm not holding my breath.

I doubt if anybody would be willing to pay the sort of prices that would
be required to give the sugar daddy a decent return on his investment.
Probably cheaper to buy a new lycoming at that point. Also, getting
deep pockets involved would most likely only lead to those pockets being
picked by the lawyers for the grieving widow.

I'd like to be wrong.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/