Old September 14th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Jungle Aviation and Radio Service has their own field in Waxhaw, NC called
JAARS-Townsend. I used to go over there just to watch the Helio Courier pilots
do their stuff. It was absolutely amazing.

They'd stand on the brakes, go to full power, pop the tail up in one length, and
be airborne in another. I suspect you could sprint alongside it and keep up for
a few seconds.

The Helio didn't just climb out of impossibly short strips... it had six seats
and could carry a load.

JAARS is a missionary outfit, if anybody wonders. They used to have missions in
New Guinea and down in South America... don't know about now. They also
operated DC-3s and some other birds (can't remember now).

Still doing it. See http://www.jaars.org/aviation04/avia_home.shtml

They use a short-field landing technique in the Helio that
involves a minimum approach speed, touchdown on the mains, raise the
tail high, use a little power to maintain elevator authority and use
heavy braking, keeping the tail way high to get rid of the lift and put
lots of weight on the mains. The prop isn't far off the surface. I was
taught the same thing in the 185, and it'll stop in way under published
figures. Very unnerving the first few times.
Those Helios are pretty old, and JAARS has been
manufacturing parts for them under FAA-PMA approval to keep them alive.
They also have serial number 1 in their fleet. They will soon start
replacing them with the Quest Kodiak.

Dan

Dan