Old August 9th 04, 04:21 PM
Roger Halstead

On 8 Aug 2004 20:01:32 -0700, wrote:

Ok, so I just finished building a plane from parts (didn't buy a kit)
and I get it certified and then comes a nifty letter from the Idaho
State Tax Commission wanting to know how much I paid for the plane so
they can tax me. How do I convince them that this plane has been in
progress since 1994 and I don't have any receipts but that a lot of
the items used to build the plane have already had sales tax paid on
them?

Get a tax attorney, or at least a registered tax consultant.
It will be worth the money and save you a lot of hassle in the long
run. That and they know the laws of your state.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I'm worried that if I explain how the aircraft was built that they
will think I'm trying to pull a fast one or something and then really
come after me.

When I registered the plane I did register it as being built from
parts and didn't have to include a bill of sale or anything. I
suppose I could include that in my explanation letter.

Any other way to go about it? Thanks for your advice.

Harry