Old August 18th 03, 09:45 PM
Bill Daniels

"Shoulbe" wrote in message
The FAA cares. Please look at FAR 61.3(d).

Perhaps a DPE like Judy would care to comment, but after reading the above
FAR carefully, I don't think it prohibits a rated pilot (non CFI-G) from
allowing a non-pilot passenger to manipulate the controls - even to the
point of allowing the passenger to land the glider - as long as the rated
pilot understands that he alone is the PIC.

What it DOES prohibit is an non-instructor from making logbook endorsements
or otherwise preparing a student for solo or cross country.

Beyond the FAR's is the question of whether this sort of thing is a good
idea. As a CFI-G, I often object to non-CFI-G's attempting to impress
highly suggestible students with their knowledge which places me in an
awkward position if I have to correct an erroneous statement. The better
idea is, if you want to instruct, get the rating first, THEN learn to fly
with a student at the controls - under the supervision of a senior
instructor.

When I was handed my first instructor certificate, 30+ years ago, the FAA
man spoke one of the great truths of aviation. "Now", he said, "you are
really going to learn what flying is all about - from your students."

Wow, was he right.

Bill Daniels