Old May 29th 21, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

Default Newby questions about the GLASFLUGEL H 201 STANDARD LIBELLE

Some will tell you that the yawstring on a Libelle is like a windshield wiper and that you will be forever dancing on the rudders to try to keep that string straight. Here's the real dope: Pull that yawstring off the front of the canopy where everyone sticks it. That's right down in the turbulent air produced by the angle of the canopy where it meets the cockpit perimeter. Put that yawstring up high on the canopy, just in your peripheral vision. You will be amazed at how much less rudder action you will need. I know this because I have been flying a 301 Libelle for 30 years. And, yes, I have flown 201's. I prefer the better performance of the flapped 301. In reality, the 201's handle better and are usually in better shape, being newer. However, nothing looks as good as a nice 301 with the low profile "racing" canopy.