Old March 28th 05, 09:47 PM
Jay Honeck

I know I'm currently banned from the suggestion box, but...is there a

GA
Suite in the works? Kind of a catch all? I think that would be cool

:-)

No, there is no generic "GA Suite" in the works. Remember, our goal is
to create suites that evoke a specific *era* of aviation history, which
means that we try to find themes that immediately bring to mind the
unique era that they represent.

When you hear "The Mustang Suite" most people immediately associate the
name with a feeling, and an era. Same with the "Wright Brothers Suite"
and the "Stearman Suite."

The "GA Suite" just doesn't do that -- it covers too much ground.

BTW, how many rooms are left to upgrade?

We've got at least three more theme suites planned (we've got 14
finished) -- the Apollo, the Oshkosh, and the Piper Cub Suites. After
that, we're going to take a breath, and reassess.

We've currently got nine of our largest suites set aside for corporate
housing (I.E.: For traveling nurses, visiting doctors, contruction
workers -- anyone who needs a suite with a full kitchen to live in for
1 to 6 months) that are pretty popular -- and those folks couldn't care
less about the aviation theme. (Also, they are the oldest suites, with
standard tubs. They would take big money to bring up to luxury suite,
hot tub standards...)

Which Suite is the "wow" favorite these days?

The Mustang Suite, being our least expensive hot tub suite, is far and
away our most popular suite -- it's full almost every night. EVERYONE
knows the P-51 Mustang, and EVERYONE enjoys looking at the stuff that
Vlado (Lenoch) donated for the suite!

Of our more upscale suites, the Blackbird Suite is probably next most
popular, and the Reno Air Race Suite has been very popular for our top
of the line honeymoon suites.

Interestingly, (or sadly?) the Mustang and Reno suites are
smoking-permitted suites -- which flies in the face of recent smoking
statistics. You would think the situation would be just the opposite,
but there are a lot of cases where the husband (or wife) smokes, and
the wife (or husband) doesn't -- and *they* often request a
smoking-permitted suite.

Personally, after observing our guests for 2 1/2 years, I think the
smoking statistics that are reported are skewed by the fact that
smoking is no longer socially acceptable, and people tend to lie to the
pollsters about their unpopular personal habits. Even though recent
reports put smoking at somewhere around 30% of the adult population, I
think it's closer to 50%, especially if you factor in the "social
smokers" -- those who only smoke when they drink.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA