Old March 2nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 22:17:13 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

They didn't want to have to shovel up the sand when the sandbags
split on the floor.

IF that is really the reason, IMHO, that is pretty damn sorry.

Look, I was not there when the test was done, but I know the guys who
were. I know the engineer who instrumented the test.

The shovelling was in jest. From what I understand, they were hoping
to make some modifications to the wing to make it a better wing, so
did not test to destruction. After doing more analysis they decided to
cut their losses and forget the project. They designed an all metal
wing, which MAY eventually be used on a TP-ish plane.

The strain guage information, along with the distortion under load was
adequate information to tell the engineer "enough"