Old June 17th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Starer[_2_]

Default UK Air Accidents

I suspect press reporting in of air accidents and incidents in the UK is
worse than in most places in the world. The attitude (particularly of local
press) seems to be that flying is a dangerous newfangled fad that should be
discouraged at all costs. In many other European countries gliding is part
of the fabric of everyday life and I would expect reporting there to be
better informed and as a result, much more balanced and accurate.

A member of my club recently made a perfectly normal, safe outlanding in a
field in Lincolnshire near to a field where a cricket match was in progress.
Unfortunately the local rag found out and reported it in the usual
sensationalised "Glider Pilot in Shock Horror Death Plunge" kind of
language. This does nothing to enhance public perception of our sport and I
think we need to be much more diligent in taking the culprits to task. If we
insisted on balanced, accurate, and informed reporting maybe we could start
preventing this kind of ignorant rubbish from appearing in print, along with
the damage it does to our sport.

"Graham Drinkell" wrote in message
Recent Air Accidents/Incidents appear to have been very poorly reported by
the press. Especially when light aircraft are involved. They are extremely
unknowledgable, wether a paraglider (or other a/c) / RAF training a/c is
involved?