Old February 28th 19, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default high tow vs low tow

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 12:35:13 AM UTC-8, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:12:56 -0800, Tom BravoMike wrote:

I have always believed the wake basically goes DOWN behind the tow
plane, being compressed, i.e. heavier, air, and/or maybe for other
reasons. I don't remember feeling any wake turbulence just following the
tow plane at the same height, climbing or level flight.

Its caused by a wing generating lift. If you assume that the wake's
downward angle is 1/3 of the wing's AOA you won't be far wrong.

So maybe 2 to 3 degrees from a towplane, a 1:20 to 1:30 slope, 2 or 3 metres at the end of a 60m towrope.