Old March 1st 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default high tow vs low tow

Low tow is.....sailplane breaks ground, stays close to ground (since close ground effect basically negates the sailplane drag), let towplane accelerate, lift off, when towplane "looks about right" follow it up.

This is the short version.

Having, taught newbs for both, low tow seems easier and safer.

There is ALWAYS the outlier where, "I think high tow would have been better".
To me, sorta like, "I won't wear seat belts because I knew of a case where they were thrown free in a crash and survived because they didn't wear seat belts".

I stick with low tow, but teach and fly both.

As I stated before, this is a "no win" conversation.