Old August 10th 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Speed of a vario

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 10:45:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Here's the link to the article (hit "download'). Though I commend Scott for slugging through the article and citing it (a welcome behavior for RAS), the authors do not conclude that the brain has a "15 second lag" to process the current visual field of an observer and has no connection with vario lag. It might have some loose relevance to a pilot's ability to pick out a moving, converging object from background when doing his/her scans. A 15 second lag would have meant more cavemen being eaten by dinosaurs.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ual_perception

Scientists have revealed the human brain has a 15-second lag that helps stabilize incoming visual information, which we don’t notice bombarding us in the course of our everyday lives.

It actually means that what we do see is, in fact, a mixture of past and present. According to the research, published in the journal Nature Neuroscience, stability is attained at the expense of accuracy.

We're gonna need to see that paper. Got a link?

If we had a 15-second lag in responding to visual stimulii, none of us could survive more than a few landings. Or the drive to the airport, for that matter.