Old December 29th 20, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Solar panel controller

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 18:52:35 UTC+2, jfitch wrote:
I'd be amazed if you had room for a Victron in your glider. Both Victron and Genasun make generally good stuff. From the data sheets, the Victron efficiency is "98% peak" and the Genasun is "94 - 99.85% typical". These are effectively the same. What do you find appalling?
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:03:58 AM UTC-8, Soartech wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 10:42:19 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Any ideas for Strobl controller replacement? The voltage is not enough for LFP battery. Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 looks good, but according to specs Strobl solar cell voltage is not enough to start the unit (!). Genasun has appalling efficiency.

We need more info: how many Volts does your cell put out? What is the battery type and size in Watt-hours? What aircraft is this on?

Genasun consumes 150mA, six times more than Victron (25 mA). My solar panel produces 550mA (via Strobl controller). Genasun robs almost third of the panel produced power.