Old December 30th 20, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Solar panel controller

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 7:42:19 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
Any ideas for Strobl controller replacement? The voltage is not enough for LFP battery. Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 looks good, but according to specs Strobl solar cell voltage is not enough to start the unit (!). Genasun has appalling efficiency.

Just take out the controller altogether. The only LFP batteries I would consider have an internal BMS (battery management system) that protects against over-charging (which won't happen airborne, anyhow). I passed on solar panels altogether for my new ASH31Mi because their output was so paltry compared to the draw of my full glass panel (2A) that it was just not worth the cost ($2,500). I put in an LFP avionics battery instead (20AHr) and supplemented that with a 12AHr battery. That works fine if I remember to turn off my master.

Tom