Old July 11th 11, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

On Jul 11, 2:38*pm, wrote:
On July 7, 2011 at Nowy Targ in southern Poland, glider Puchacz
crashed during training flight 2/3 mile from the airport. The
instructor (~64-67) and the student pilot (~18-19) are dead. *It was a
tow rope brake practice flight with down wind turn for down wind
landing from about 130-150 m of altitude (400 feet).
What can we learn from this?
Are these training flights mendatory under FAA rules?
Can pilot request opt-out from "rope brake" during Biennial Flight
Review to avoid getting killed?
I remember once during BFR the instructor pulled the release on me in
the Blanik at about 200 feet, I had to do 180 turn and land down wind
from very low altitude. I think it was dangerous and unnecessary even
for an experienced pilot as me. Andre

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/regionalne...Szybowiec_rozb...

I doubt we can learn anythng from it without knowing the circustances
of the crash. Did they spin in? Did they land under control in an
unlandable area? Something else?

The instructor should be sure the turn back can be accomplished safely
considering wind, altitude, and distance from the airport. In your
case it seems his judgement was ok.

Andy