Old August 11th 14, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

I've used this on the ramp just before launch to help make a decision on which way storms are moving or developing. It's also good for deciding on whether or not to disassemble. Works great on a small screen PDA phone.

Walt Rogers WX

Unfortunately, some don't stop using their smart phone app's on the ground. With the near real-time-radar app and artificial horizon app's that are available today, I have seen tracks that deliberately flew under thunderstorms on a MAT day. Two pilots even admitted to "icing up". I believe we need strong enforcement of the NO SMART PHONE accessible in the cockpit rule........................or we will be picking someone up with a stick and spoon! We all know what awaits us inside a thunderstorm...........ice, hail, lightning and perhaps the biggest factor disorientation! Some may even be tempted to teach themselves how to fly inside clouds OJT.

I recommend the CD at every contest, be directed to check every cockpit on every takeoff, next year.

JJ Sinclair