View Single Post
Old August 11th 14, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade
external usenet poster

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

On Monday, August 11, 2014 6:51:56 AM UTC-7, JJ Sinclair wrote:

I recommend the CD at every contest, be directed to check every cockpit on every takeoff, next year.

JJ - This is getting off-topic; but no way, man.

Many people now depend on a smartphone/tablet device for their main flight computer (i.e. XCSoar, iGlide, etc). What's that? You think PDAs/PNAs are OK? Hrm, have you thought about the fact that people can connect those to their smartphone or other devices to get cellular or satellite connections and do the exact same thing? Do *you* want to be the one to handle the task of forcing them all to buy expensive panel-mounted systems? And what kind of effect would that have on the pool of pilots who could participate in contests? Smartphones and tablets are making it cheaper and easier for pilots to fly XC and try contests - why would you reverse that trend and make it harder?

As for pilots chasing T-storms and cloud-flying: That has NOTHING to do with someone using a smartphone. That behavior is all about the personality of the pilot, their habits, and their (lack of) ability to evaluate risk. Take away their technology and they'll still find ways to do stupid things; banning a device isn't going to change their attitude. The SSA has processes for putting unsafe pilots on probation and/or banning them from contests - they can and should be used when appropriate.

Lastly, for anyone and everyone who makes the argument that computers in the cockpit are an unsafe distraction: I would ask you to tell me how well you fold and unfold sectional charts in a glider cockpit; especially how you do it while looking outside and with one hand on the stick at all times. And if you tell me you can do that, I will call bullsh*t EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Using a paper map and an old-school prayer-wheel or E6-B requires plenty of heads-down time. You may feel more *comfortable* with it if you learned to fly that way, and it may be more safe for _you_ to fly that way (until you've practiced using a flight computer more and it becomes intuitive); but digital moving maps and flight computers are not inherently more or less safe than paper. It all comes down to practicing with your systems and being able to use them efficiently with minimal heads-down time.
-----

Back on-topic: I think the protest idea is a good one; but its unlikely to be used consistently. Pilots are strongly motivated to focus on the task and attempt to complete it. In-the-moment they are probably not going to think about "ancillary" rules like day devaluation or protests. I don't want to pile extra responsibility onto the CD - having served as one in beginner contests, I know they already have enough on their plate - so I'm not sure if there's a perfect answer. Tim's points are well-taken but I wonder if those suggestions raise more opportunities for gamesmanship with day devaluation (i.e. to protect a lead late in a contest or something like that) - its unlikely as it would probably take the cooperation of multiple pilots; but its still something to keep in mind when proposing "fixes". In the meantime, perhaps the Welcome Briefing at the start of every contest should include a reminder about filing protests (what they're for, how its done, what _not_ to protest, etc). I haven't really seen that addressed at some of the Regionals I've been to.

--Noel