View Single Post
Old August 11th 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.
external usenet poster

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

As for pilots chasing T-storms and cloud-flying: That has NOTHING to do with someone using a smartphone. That behavior is all about the personality of the pilot, their habits, and their (lack of) ability to evaluate risk. Take away their technology and they'll still find ways to do stupid things; banning a device isn't going to change their attitude. The SSA has processes for putting unsafe pilots on probation and/or banning them from contests - they can and should be used when appropriate.

--Noel

I guess I'll address the 800lb gorilla in the room that seems to be the root of the problem.
It is my opinion that given the chance, some pilots will cheat when they get the chance if the risk of getting caught is low / penalties are not enforced. With nearly 55 years of playing golf (many many many tournaments), it is a fact that there are those that cheat. I witness it almost daily when I play. It is NOT a small number of people. It may be as simple as moving your ball under summer rules, not posting a low score to your handicap, or perhaps "finding" a lost ball that happen to miraculously appear (from your pocket). The list is endless. Some think that minor cheating is OK and normal. The fact is that cheating is cheating. How many do you know that have "fudged" their income taxes? I have no illusions that glider pilots are more noble than golfers (the gentleman's sport).
With the competition staff normally being volunteers, limited hours in a day to run the show, and trying to keep things running smoothly, most don't have the time to dig deeply to see if someone is not being kosher. No one likes to be the "bad guy", but sometimes I think that one or two public "examples" would be keep some cheaters in line. It won't stop all. I wish it would....