Old May 13th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

Default GNS430 vs. GX60 - missing functions

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:09:15 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

This question particularly applies to the CAP mission pilots in the group:

we have been flying GX50 and 60s in our CAP birds, but I'm playing with
a GNS430 in a private aircraft. There doesn't seem to be a correlation of
the SAR functions in Garmin's unit like Apollo's.

I'd like to know how others handle the missing functions. Do you manually
create a flight plan with waypoints at the end of each grid leg? 30 years
ago we only had to use pencil and charts, but now we have to demonstrate
integration of the GPS into our search patterns. The Apollo makes it easy
with the SAR map page; what am I missing on the Garmin?

My understanding is that Apollo put specific functionality into their boxes
to allow flying SAR grids specifically because they were chasing a big CAP
contract. So, it's not surprising it's not in the Garmin boxes.

The CAP version of the G1000 182 has search grids.