Old November 5th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Glasflugel AD

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:20:45 +0200, BruceGreeff wrote:

EASA have issued an AD - 2011-0213 for inspection of the elevator push
rod on pretty much all designs from the Libelle onwards:

- all BS1, Club Libelle 205, Hornets, Mosquitos, Kestrels,
all 304s except B, C and CZ variants - so far, so good.

All these are T-tail gliders: the AD photos show that its the vertical
push-rod in the fin that's being checked, so that all makes sense.

- In addition, two specific aircraft are mentioned:

Std. Libelle H.201b s/n 169
Libelle 203,
Std. Libelle H.204 s/n 1

The 203 (2 built) and 204 (1 built) are presumably prototypes for a
Libelle replacement, but what about the H.201b, s/n 169. Does anybody
know anything about these three variants? I'm curious.

The AD lists "Kestrel" as one of the affected types. My question is -
does this apply to the Slingsby built Kestrels - do I have to take my
T59 apart?

Glasfaser says it applies to all Kestrels, type 401.
The BGA doesn't say anything different. The copy of the AD 2011-0213,
http://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/easa_a...AD_2011-0213_1
referenced from the BGA website has additional notes about a few specific
gliders identified by s/n over the range 86-125.

Since Slingsby built the T.59 under license, I'd guess that the type
certificate holder is Glasfaser, who took over maintenance for all
Glasflugel gliders when the original outfit folded. The AD directs all
queries, etc. to Glasfaser.

Will do so anyway for it's annual airworthiness test , but would be nice
to know if I have to replace bits before I get there...

As the type certificate holder appears to be Glasfaser, your best bet
would be to ask them. I've found them to be friendly and helpful when
I've needed to contact them:

http://www.streifly.de/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie