View Single Post
Old July 17th 20, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 8:52:11 AM UTC-4, RR wrote:
Our club offers free instruction to the membership but has a token credit per instruction for the CFIG. One of our CFIGs had an interesting theory, that we should charge something to the student, could be only $5 but charge something. He did not care if the charge went to him, or just the club, but his feeling was that with some charge there was more perceived value to the student.

RR

This is a very interesting thread, getting input and many different points of view. Ultimately clubs can decide how they handle the CFIG, Tow Pilot, Groundskeeper, Rest Room Cleaners, Hot Dog Griller Of The Day, and the list goes on and on. Always remember that the club affords the opportunity for all, not just a few. Tow Pilots and CFIG's can be replaced, but the club availability is limited, just look at the loss of clubs and soaring sites in the last few years.
Just last evening my phone rang and it was the young man that was mentioned earlier in this thread that got his CFIG, tail wheel endorsement and tow endorsement through our club. He called to inform me of the news that he was moving on next month for further expand his career in aviation, he will be flying charter cargo. After saying congratulations he informed me that the club was a great bright spot in his flying career and that he intends to stay connected with soaring wherever his journey takes him, I am just delighted that we made a difference. Bob