Old July 20th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 8:52:11 AM UTC-4, RR wrote:

(Regarding CFI's charging for instruction) . . . there is more perceived value to the student.

A reasonable charge for instructing and perceived value . . . that a might be a fact, not a theory.

Decades ago in Miami (1990's), I was charging $99 for a "mile high" tourist ride.
Tied up my towplane for over 30 minutes, making a relatively slow descent after release.
Some non-pilot tourists suffered through the relatively long tow for the first 10 minutes or so.
No gliders launched back on the ground until my towplane returned.
So I raised the price to $199 figuring that might discourage requests for mile high rides, especially on busy days.

Well, that resulted in increased demand for MORE mile high rides as the perceived value by customers was to book "the best ride" for more money.

Probably shouldn't offer mile high rides now in Marfa in far southwest Texas with our 5,000' msl airport elevation. Towing to over 10,000' would be a very long tow, including other considerations. Maybe I should offer 1/2 mile high flights and advertise as 777 meter rides.

Coincidentally, as I recall, Tom Knauff in Pennsylvania increased his price for a mile high ride around the same time as I did and saw the same result of more demand.