Old February 22nd 12, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default PowerFlarm and transponders while towing?

On Feb 21, 4:19*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
But, but, but... *A glider on tow is not on a collision course with the tug.
So why is PowerFlar alerting on the glider trailing behind? *Why wouldn't it
alwo alert on a glider behind you in a thermal?

I'm still not convinced...

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message

I suggest a second sticker on the vario.

My first sticker says “gear”. I stick it on the vario when launching.
If it still there when I come off tow and start thermalling etc., it
impedes my view of the vario and reminds me to raise the
undercarriage. When I have done the latter, I move the sticker to the
airbrake/spoiler handle. If it is still there when I approach for
landing, I have forgotten to lower the gear. When I do lower the gear,
I move the sticker back to the vario as I don’t need it for approach
and landing.

For the USA transponder/PowerFlarm, I would have a second sticker on
the vario saying transponder/PowerFlarm. If still there when looking
for lift, it would mean I forgot to switch them on after pulling off
tow.

Cheap, fairly foolproof, and the only time it let me down (or rather I
goofed) was when I forgot to put the sticker on the vario in the first
place, and ended up landing without lowering the gear.

Chris N.

To clarify, Bumper is only talking about the mode C alert, NOT flarm
alert. Mode C only alerts you of the nearest transponder equipped
aircraft (the glider in this case), not of a collision alert. Would
have been great if it was capable of displaying more than one threat,
than there wouldn't be an issue.

Ramy