Old February 22nd 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm and transponders while towing?

As Ramy says. Also, if both have PowerFlarm and Transponder, the
glider PF will only show the tug transponder as the nearest and will
not alert to a possible approaching transponder.

As the combination is one entity in air law (I assume it is in the USA
as it is in the UK) it is logical to leave all unambiguous alerts to
the tug pilot. Once separated, the glider needs its own alerts, and
the tug will soon be away.

(Because I have separate PCAS and Flarm in my glider, and no
transponder, I don’t have the problem.)

Not that you can’t still have collisions – I know of at least one UK
fatal collision between a tug and the glider it had not long since
towed up. Be careful out there.

Chris N.