Old June 2nd 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Selecting landout airports

Evan: I hear that runway was very much littered already, with moose droppings... Although it looked fairly clean when I stopped by there last fall.

I've gotten towed un-assisted out of a narrow runway with lights more than once, and was told to place the glider about 50 feet before one set of lights. The idea was that you can't hit that set of lights, since it takes some distance to travel far enough off the centerline (or from a bit downwind of the centerline), and it's a whole 200 feet until the next set of lights, by which point you'll have enough airspeed to control the roll path. (It's also easier with 12.6m wings.)