Old June 23rd 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Our son's first flight lesson

Just a word of caution Jay.

Big snip of lots of good advice

Thanks, Dudley. We're very much aware of this potential problem, and
will try to avoid it at all costs.

That's another (serious) reason I wanted him to train in a Cessna
150. It's different enough from our our plane that EVERYTHING will be
different, from the pre-flight checklist to the sight picture on final
approach.

That way whatever he's learning will be in a different context from
what he's seen in Atlas, and there can be no conflict. (At least
that's the theory.)

As far as his CFI, we have truly found a gem. He's an older
gentleman, deeply involved in flying and restoring classic aircraft
(he barnstorms with a 1929 Travel Air, and has participated in the
National Air Tour, as well as the American Barnstormers Tour), has
flown wildlife flights in the mountains in a Maule, and is genuinely
one of the nicest, most even-keeled guys I've ever met.

He's not building hours, and he doesn't need the money. He's just
doing it because he loves it -- and that's what Joe needs.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA