Old June 23rd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Our son's first flight lesson

I know you love Atlas and I have absolutely nothing against Cherokees
having taught in them many times, but for primary students,IF a choice
of a tricycle gear airplane is an option, I have always leaned heavily
toward steering people into the small Cessna's for initial training .
I have always liked the control setup on the Cessna's as opposed to the
Cherokees strictly when talking primary dual. I've found over time (a
lot of time really :-) that time spent in the control sensitive/ wind
sensitive 150's and 152's in the beginning has paid big dividends down
the line for students who learn in these airplanes, THEN transition
into the Cherokees .

Agreed. I love Atlas, but compared to a 150 its a transport-class
plane. Big, nose-heavy, and -- with a pretty short wing -- not
terribly forgiving in slow flight. It'll slide around the pattern on
rails.

A 150, on the other hand, is like a butterfly, requiring constant
input. It'll teach him a lot, methinks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA