Old December 13th 04, 05:21 PM
Peter Kemp

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:22:05 -0800, Lyle wrote:

Then there will probably be developed a ASW Version of the Osprey, if
you ask me the Osprey is the most logical assest we have to replace
the C-2 Greyhound, E-2 Hawkeye, and S-3 Vikeing, and Tanker aircraft
with a common platform.
JMO

Interesting. I'm of the opinion myself that for the USN's purposes,
the best replacement for all of these is another production run of
E-2, plus an updated C-2 (turboprop powered, naturally) fitted out as
required for the S-3 and tanker missions.

I just don't see the extra complexity of the VTOL as a good thing for
a navy that is committed to CTOL carriers.

Now for the RN, there may well be some use in an AEW/Tanker Osprey,
but IMO it's unlikely to happen. More likely a Merlin will get a
radome, and we'll do without organic tankers :-(

--
Peter Kemp

"Life is short...drink faster"