Old April 18th 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Record height for a winch launch?

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:53:52 -0700, AS wrote:

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 2:15:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
New people always ask about release altitudes. The more relevant
question is the rate of launches. We learn to fly and gain proficiency
through repetition, we gain altitude in thermals. Ever ask the guy
doing pattern work in a 172 how high he got?

For most licensed pilots I think the release height is very important.
If you go to all the trouble to get ready to go soaring, you want to
get high enough to have a good chance to get away.
Nick T

I beg to differ! Last weekend, one of our guys encountered a rope break
at 1,000ft (an old splice let go) and not only did he have the audacity
to climb away, he also went XC! He broke all the rules commonly known to
be associated with winching!

I'd do the same if in the right circumstances, as would any of our
pilots. Besides, high key for starting a circuit from the winch end of
our airfield is 700 ft, so on a good day the chance of sniffing out a
bump from 1000 ft is quite good.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org