Old February 2nd 04, 05:22 AM
tony roberts

I now have the answer.

Check out - http://www.scn.org/%7Ebk269/gps.html

Tony

In article nospam-AC03C5.18041801022004@shawnews,
tony roberts wrote:

Hi
I own a Garmin 196 GPS. When I turned it on today it would not find any
satellites. I took off and during the flight swithched it on and off
several times, unplugged and replugged the cables without success. I
landed at my destination and saw a friend who also owns a 196. I took
mine over to his aircraft, plugged it into his antenna and it worked
right away. So - faulty antenna right?
I went back to my plane, tested it again and it worked right away.
A while later I took off and it wouldn't work. I landed at my next
airport and shut down. I then tested the GPS and it worked fine.
Later I took off and it wouldn't work.
When I returned to my home airport I left the aircraft running and
swithched off all of the electrics and switched on the GPS and it
worked., then I started turning the electrics/electronics on one by one.
It kept working until I turned on the DME and then it lost satellite
reception. The DME was tuned to 109.5 - I don't know what that is - it
had been switched during the annual.
I turned off the DME, rebooted the GPS and it worked fine. Turned the
DME back on - the GPS lost reception. Then I turned the DME tuner up one
to 110.5 anfd the GPS worked fine. I tried it on several other settings
and it worked fine. Each time the DME was tuned back to 109.5 the GPS
lost its satellites.
Just thought I'd share that in case anyone has a GPS loss of reception
in flight. It could just be something as crazy as this.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL