Old April 16th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default Distance wood has flown

You are right, I was thinking of Ben's and Wally's
flight in the ASW-12s.

However, Ben did have an SHK. He owned it for about
a year and traded it to Richard Berry for a Libelle.
I flew this glider while Berry had it: N4660X; it
is still registered somewhere in New Jersey if memory
serves.

At 04:30 16 April 2007, Steve Leonard wrote:
Nyal Williams worte:

'Al Parker and Ben Greene set a world distance record
from either Marfa or Odessa to Kansas (I believe Salina).
If memory is correct, Ben was still flying his SH-K.'

I think Ben's flight was from Odessa to Great Bend,
Kansas. And it was in an Austria S, not the later
SHK. I don't believe Ben ever had an SHK. IIRC, it
was a 'Distance ot a Goal' record.

And are you maybe thinking of Ben Greene and Wally
Scott's famous flight from Odessa to Columbus, Nebraska?
They were flying AS-W12s. That was a jointly held
US Distance Record. I don't think Al ever co-held
a record with anyone.

Dick Johnson made the first ever over 500 mile flight
from Odessa, to Salina, Kansas. And interestingly
enough, two days before, he crewed for another person
at the Odessa camp on a straight out distance flight.
How many people can you think of now that would give
up potential record days to crew for someone else at
a record setting camp?

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS