Old December 24th 04, 08:34 PM
Don Hammer

Which regulation requires this?

Matt

Probably not a regulation, but virtually all my maintenance experience
has been with larger corporate-type jets. You are certainly required
to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance program if that
is your election or an FAA- approved program of your design. In
other words, as a 91 operator you select your program under
91.409(f)(3) or (4). All maintenance manuals I've been involved with
specify only ABO.
A Part 121, 125, or 135 program will drive it for those operators. I
can guarantee the NTSB did a hard look at the bottles of the charter
operator that was carrying Payne Stewart. Did it cause his accident?
Probably not.

As a side note - it's not only the source of the oxygen, but how its
stored. I've seen in-service welding bottles full of rust that got
that way from being stored flat with the valve open. I'm sure if you
went directly to a good supplier, what you get would be clean. I will
confess I've done a bit of mountain flying in gliders and the local
carborundum mine supplied us with all our oxygen. We all lived. Would
I suggest it to others as a licensed mechanic? No way - I wouldn't
know what to say on the witness stand.

Another side note. Just because someone posts something on a web site
of bulletin board doesn't make it law - that includes me. We each
have to make ourselves aware of all information that applies to what
we are doing. Any of us are free to take chances with our own lives,
but we can't do the same with those of our passengers. I would suggest
a pilot is probably not the best source of good maintenance
information even though our egos make us think we are all experts.
There are many reasons why the safety record of small aircraft is so
bad compared to others. (Your insurance man knows) The person making
the maintenance decisions is one of them.

http://www.usenet.com