Old April 26th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tauno Voipio

Default Lancair crash at SnF

Robert Moore wrote:
WingFlaps wrote

Is there anyone here who thinks velocity is not used by pilots as a
vector (apart from Stefan)? I say the common parlance for the
magnitude of velocity is SPEED that is why you have an ASI in your
plane and a speedometer in your car. Anyone disagree?

Hmmmm.....I wonder why we have "V" speeds, you know V1, Vso, etc.?

Quite simple: In physics, the abbreviation of 'velocity'
has been 'v' for a long time. The indices then describe
which speed it is.

Velocity is the value of speed vector without direction
information.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi