Old June 8th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Whiting

Default I've had it.

Bob Fry wrote:
"BG" == Bob Gardner writes:

BG I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the
BG temptation. The rec.aviation newsgroups have become
BG useless. There is very little "meat" in the
BG postings...sushidot is about the only poster interested in
BG learning anything. If anyone is looking for me, I hang out in
BG the AOPA Forum, Pilots of America, and Purple boards.

I might follow you there also. The kooks and attention seekers have
taken over any forum not moderated. These days, building an RV, the
only half-useful forum is Vans Air Force, which is moderated. I've
heard the AOPA Forum is anti-experimental but I'll give it a go.

Too bad, because the Usenet format is still far superior to the
"forum" format. Very low bandwidth required for pure text and all
groups in one convenient tool (your newsreader). Using GNUS (Emacs) I
can get through a dozen different groups in 2 to 3 minutes. With the
online, web-based forums it takes far longer to cruise through the
posts. Gotta love the old Un*x tools, still the best for productivity.

I agree. I participate in a couple of motorcycle forums and find the
user interface overly complex and hard to use as compared to good old
usenet. Some things were just right from the start and usenet is one of
them.

Matt