Old September 9th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Caution - Arizona Airspace and Borders

On Sep 9, 7:39*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sep 9, 7:22*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 7:14*am, John Cochrane
wrote:

So why not just send John Leibacher the right file? He does an amazing
job of quickly posting files to the turnpoint exchange.

Because I do not have the right to distribute the data except, as
scorer, to participants in the contest.

It's a long story and I don't have time now.

Andy

And it will become the wrong file on the next update.

Darryl

I was the one who discovered the problem when I nicked an airspace
boundary during a recent contest. It's a complex area near the
international border with several MOAs and restricted military
training areas. In examining the data, I find the US/Mexico border is
displaced about 1 nautical mile south of the actual border (perhaps
because the data are based on ADIZ data). SeeYou and SeeYou mobile
clearly show the border in the wrong place. Two MOAs that are
adjacent to the border are correctly shown. The whole southern border
of Arizona is shown at latitude 31 degrees 19 minutes instead of 31
degrees 20 minutes. This 1 minute difference may be the ADIZ border
definition, but I am not sure. I am sure that the indicated border is
in the wrong place (it's obvious if you look at Nogales, for example).

Andy (our scorer) finds that scoring programs do not properly display
the border at all. Clearly, the use of closed polygons to display
lines has some problems.

Our two concerns a

1) There are errors in the database that show airspace boundaries in
the wrong place.

2) Scoring programs (Winscore, for example) handle the airspace files
differently than the navigation problems (such as SeeYou Mobile) and
may plot garbage. The result may be penalizing pilots for airspace
violations that did not occur, or vice-versa.

One major message, though, is to take the warnings on the files
seriously - do NOT use them for navigation purposes! That's what
charts are for.

Mike