Old October 19th 03, 11:32 PM
Marc Ramsey

Jim Kelly wrote:
. . . and from those having a close look at FAI loggers . . . How
does Thermi differ from Colibri or Volkslogger - for those using
(say) WinPilot on an iPaq where the lack of a display may not be
important?

I used a loaner Themi once for a couple of flights. As a flight
recorder, it operates pretty much as you would expect it to. I don't
believe either SeeYou or StrePla is capable of communicating with it, so
one must use the provided software to declare tasks and download
flights. The Themi has "all badges" approval, so you can use it for FAI
badges and diplomas (1000K, etc.), but not world records. If you're
interested in national records, you'll have to get in touch with the SSA
(or appropriate NAC) to determine their policy relative to this unit.

Of course, the big difference between the Themi and other recorders is
the thermal centering function. Some people love it, some people hate
it, I personally found it rather confusing. Maybe with some more
practice I would have found it helpful, but it certainly wasn't
compelling enough for me to spend my own money to buy one...

Marc