Old November 18th 03, 03:10 PM
JJ Sinclair

OK, It's winter time and I'm bored, so let me throw my 2 cents in here. The
only flight I ever had in a ship with flaps only was in a PIK-20B. It was a
test flight after a broken fuselage. Things went well until it got time to
land. I rolled in 45 degrees of flaps and everything looked just about right.
Came over the fence at 50 knots and waited for her to settle down. I waited and
waited and waited. By now I had floated down most of the 4000 foot runway and
I'm still floating about 1 foot off the ground. What do I do? Musn't dump the
flaps or she will drop like a stone, right? Finally got the wheel on the ground
and jumped on the brake.
That night I read the flight manual and it said to slowely crank off the flaps
in this situation. I think the flaps only ships are OK, but require a different
set of skills that must be mastered. Probably not for the low time pilot or
those who don't read the flight manual before flight. My real problem was being
about 5 knots too fast. Proper speed control is critical.
JJ Sinclair