Old November 2nd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P Ilatus

Default Thermalling the D2

I read an article which mentioned that the only way
you could really tell via yawstring if in a slip was
if it was placed at the CG.

by positioning the string forward, i.e., on the canopy,
one could expect it to show a small amount of error.

I find that my b likes to climb in a slight skid for
some reason. sounds weird (and a bit dangerous) but
works for me

At 16:31 02 November 2006, Mike The Strike wrote:
I just reviewed a couple of cockpit photos I took of
my D2 thermalling
and note that the yaw string in both cases shows about
a 10 degree
slip.

While flying, I haven't noticed that I needed to deliberately
keep this
slip and wonder if this is the way the ship just sits.
Or perhaps I
just fly it that way without thinking?

Mike

On Nov 2, 2:42 am, Ben Flewett
wrote:
Chris,

The D2 definitely has to be slipped in the turn.
Ask
Davis or Darroze and they will confirm this.

Just fly it EXACTLY the same way you would fly your
Discus CS.

Cheers,

Ben

At 20:36 31 October 2006, Mike The Strike wrote:

Of all the gliders I have flown or owned, the one
that
really seemed to
benefit from a bit of top rudder was my ASW-20. Anecdotal
evidence
suggests that winglets help in thermals and reduce
the need for this
little slip.

I find my D2 seems to ride on rails in thermals, probably
because of
the double dihedral and winglets, and I just keep
the
yaw string
centered. You may find the nose-high attitude of
the
D2 will take some
getting used to.

Enjoy your new ship!

Mike

On Oct 30, 6:26 pm, 'Fox Two' wrote:
Hi All!

I'm currently a Discus CS driver with a new D2-b
coming
in about 3
months from the factory. I've found that thermalling
the CS with the
yaw string slightly high in the turn yields a better
climb - I'm
curious to hear about thermalling techniques from
the D2 veterans.

Thanks in advance!
Chris, F2