Old August 25th 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

Default Devin kicked out of junior worlds.

Justin,

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. It's not like
Devin is 10 years old or something. He's 24, and a CFI. He's also
representing all of us (or at least those of us in the USA). All these
things mean he's expected to exercise better judgment than he did
(apparently, according to the report, which as far as I am concerned is
still a "rumor" at this point) and since he's representing soaring in the
USA, I think we're entitled to know why he got kicked out (again, assuming
the report is true).

As a practical matter, your suggestion that his parents will discipline
him seems kind of unlikely for a 24 year old. He's old enough to be a
fully responsible member of the soaring community, with all that entails.

Like Devin, I've been flying gliders since I was 12, and flew gliders and
power all through my teens, 20's and 30's. I've also been known to have a
few drinks from time to time, and occasionally even more than "a few".
Before I had kids, I also partied 'til the sun came out from time to
time. However, in all that time, the one thing I've been absolutely
meticulous about is making sure that drinking and flying don't mix.
Particularly in competition. I'd expect someone at as high a level as
Devin has achieved to exercise judgment at least as good as this.

Note that I am not implying that he was flying drunk. But drinking 'til
4AM the day before a competition is irresponsible even if he would have
somehow been sober (but tired and hungover) by launch time.

Finally, the issue with his reported disdain for the coaching staff is
also relevant to all of us and certainly is at least as worthy of public
ridicule as many of the other topics reported on RAS.

--Stefan

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:59:20 -0500, Justin Rizor
wrote:

On Aug 24, 6:45 pm, Mitch Hudson wrote:
Rec.aviation.soaring favorite, Devin was kicked out of the Junior
Worlds for being up until 4:00 AM drinking on flying days, and general
disrespect for the coaching staff. It is unfortunate that such a
potentially talented young pilot was unable to meet his duties to the
U.S. team due to his drinking problem. For those of you who wondered
why he got a "Zero" on the last day, this is why.

Good on the U.S. team for making a tough decision to pull him from the
contest before he became a safety factor for any of the other pilots
there.

EX

And a ****ty decision on your part to post it too the world! If
someone wanted to know, they could of found out on there own. But to
expose a youth to this type of embarrasment is totally uncalled for.
I'm sure the parents of Devin will take care of this issue, cause as
the father of 3 kids I know I would!!!!