Old December 22nd 03, 06:47 AM
Martin Morgan

My S1-S has a locking tailwheel and I've flown Pitts' with and without.

It works well so relax. Just remember to check that it is locked after
lining up for take off but before commencing the roll. And as previously
mentioned check again before landing.

The only time I have nearly been caught out is when still rolling a bit
quick and turning for the taxiway (you can usually turn a little while
it is locked) I released it to speed up the turn. Did it ever speed up
the turn!!! (So make sure you are slow when you release it)

The upside of this system is that it is a little easier to keep straight
on the runway. The only downside I can see is that taxiing (esp. with a
quatering tailwind) is a pain.

Most of the Pitts' that I have flown where more difficult to keep
straight than they should have been not because of tailwheel type but
because they had toe in, but that is another story...

Martin
Pitts S1-S

Ditch wrote:
Hey all,
Here's the deal. I am going to be ferrying a Pitts S-1S from Florida to New
York next week. This airplane is equipped with a Haigh locking tailwheel. I
have about 800 hours in various models of Pitts (S-2A, S-2B, S-1C and S-1S) but
have never flown one with a locking tailwheel. I have flown airplanes with
locking tailwheels, just not a light plane.
Does anyone out there have any advice on how to handle this one? I'm not sure
what to think. I have heard good things and terrible things about this system.
And, looking back on it...I know 5 pilots that have flown Pitts S-1's with the
locking tailwheel...4 of them wrecked on landing rollout (And having flown with
all of them, they weren't crappy pilots...all had Pitts experience and a good
amount of tailwheel time). Crap...now I am getting nervous.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*