Old March 7th 04, 08:09 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave Butler" wrote:
I'm not saying you can't descend when cleared for the visual ...
...I'm saying if you're at-an-assigned-altitude and cleared for
the visual, you have to report, since you're "vacating a
previously assigned altitude".

That would be a tortuous reading of the paragraph. My personal
experience is that I've flown scores of visual approaches without
reporting leaving my last assigned altitudes - ATC's never said
anything.

My phraseology would be "spamcan 33333 cleared for the
visual approach", then when I (later) start the descent,
"spamcan 33333 leaving 5000".

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say that on a visual approach.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM