Old May 28th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 28, 10:26 am, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On May 28, 11:59 am, Luke Skywalker wrote:

On May 28, 8:11 am, Ron Natalie wrote:

Dan wrote:
On May 27, 5:44 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
How do autopilots make coordinated turns even when they cannot
control the
rudder?

If they don't control the rudder, they do not make coordinated
turns!

--Dan

Boy we have the blind leading the blind here.

The whole point of that big vertical slab of metal sticking out of
the
ass-end of your airplane is to provide a natural tendency for the
aircraft to fly coordinated. The pedals are just there for the
outlying conditions (low speed, high AOA for example) and fine
adjustment.

Ron...

oh my goodness...get some time with a good book on the subject and
then a CFI.

Robert- Hide quoted text -

Ron is correct. The vertical fin makes the airplane weather-vane into
the wind, and that's what co-ordination is all about. The rudder is
there only to help the vertical stab do this job.

A perfect airplane will not need rudder.- Hide quoted text -

So where is this perfect airplane? I don't know about you, but I need
the rudder pedals to fly the aircraft.

--Dan

Basically the vertical stabilizer is there for directional stability and to
control yaw; the rudder is there to change yaw. This is VERY basic, but you
can say that the rudder is there to keep the tail alligned with the nose
:-))
Rudder use to acheive the objective of keeping the tail lined up with the
nose can accurately be said to be relative to aircraft type and airspeed.
You need a fair amount of rudder to handle yawfor example in a typical light
general aviation type airplane to execute a coordinated turn entry and exit.
On the other hand however, in a T38, you can fly a complete aerobatic
sequence including point rolls with both feet planted firmly on the floor of
the rudder tunnels.
Dudley Henriques