Old May 29th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Coordinated turns without rudder, and autopilots

Bob Moore writes:

An unwanted side-effect of aileron operation is adverse yaw — a yawing
moment in the opposite direction to the turn generated by the ailerons. In
other words, using the ailerons to roll an aircraft to the right would
produce a yawing motion to the left. It is caused by an increase in induced
drag due to the greater effective camber of the wing with a downward-
deflected aileron, and the opposite effect on the other wing. Modern
aileron systems have minimal adverse yaw, such that it is barely noticeable
in most turns. This may be accomplished by the use of differential
ailerons, which have been rigged such that the downgoing aileron deflects
less than the upward-moving one. Frise ailerons achieve the same effect by
protruding beneath the wing of an upward deflected aileron, increasing drag
on that side. Ailerons may also use a combination of these methods.

Except I do see adverse yaw in turns in my (simulated) Baron, so either the
simulation is in error, or the AP knows something about making coordinated
turns without rudder input that I do not.