Old July 29th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Default Diana-2 VH-VHZ, stranded in Australia (pic links only)

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jul 28, 9:20 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:

Looks like they deepened the canopy cut out at the back to allow a bit
better view down. That's the sort of thing prototypes are used for. Is
that the best evidence you have of changes?

It kinda looks that way. However, it is a far from trivial thing to
change the canopy rail curve that drastically. There are somewhere
between three and six molds you'd have to change, and I can't imagine
going to the trouble unless it was really important. I don't think the
minor visibility improvement in that direction would justify it.

Well, I'm sensitive to that sort of change. My LAK-17A could have used
it, as my head was far enough back in the fuselage that I could barely
see the wing tips without leaning forward. They did apparently change
the canopy on later production ships.

So, Marc, you could well be right, but I'm betting the other way on
this one.

Does anyone other than BlueCumulus care? Clearly, if they broke the
design somehow, we should be hearing more noise from the other owners,
assuming there are at least 3...

Marc