Old April 24th 21, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On 4/22/2021 10:09 PM, jfitch wrote:
The glider is too expensive to stuff into a field and too heavy to carry out of it.

Amen! The fuselage of my ASH 26E weighs over 500 lbs! Getting that out
of a soft field will take more than my wife. She knows the absolute
minimum is two sturdy people to come with her if I ever need a field
retrieve.

And, not only is it too heavy to carry out, it lands pretty damn fast
with an 8.5 lb/ft2 minimum wing loading, compared to the 7 lb/ft2 it
would have without the engine, fuel, and extra battery.

The motor is not a convenience if it fails to start.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"