Old September 7th 05, 08:38 PM
W P Dixon

Mort,
I am sure you know a heck of alot more about insulin than I do,...but I
can't think of anyone down south in our heat that does not have it in the
frig. Remember in the south it can be 100 plus for weeks and weeks and
weeks. I can't imagine insulin lasting much time at all in a LA summer ,
with not even AC much less a frig? Would it be possible?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
You clearly aren't "sorry for anyone who has to put up with diabetes"
(as if it were some minor annoyance and not a life-threatening
disease!). As a father of a type-1 diabetic, I can assure you that
insulin for a diabetic is as critical for survival as oxygen, food,
water, etc. Insulin must be kept refrigerated, which might be a
challenge when there is no electricity for days/weeks at a time.

Uh.... not to interrupt, but actually, you can use unrefrigerated insulin
for up to a month as long as it isn't exposed to extremes of temperature.
In fact, I've never seen insulin in the hospital refrigerated. I expect
we use it up before age becomes a factor, or the patient goes home.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE