Old December 2nd 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Damage from bird strike?

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 1:04:57 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A few weeks ago one of our local Warner Springs pilots had a midair with a hawk on the leading edge of his D2 resulting in substantial damage. One can view on Yankee Composite's social media. Question is, how many have suffered damage needing repair after a bird strike, in a glider? Please share your story.

Several years ago I restored my J3 Cub and she was and still is a beauty. Shortly after the restoration I was flying low along a swamp canal and I had a collision with a Ghetto Goose, or Anhinga as some call it. The Anginga entered the leading edge of the right wing and went completely through the leading edge fabric and metal skin and lodged itself close to the main spar. The only thing you could see were the two feet of the Anhinga sticking out of the leading edge and a good bit of blood splatter on the wing.
Final result was a recovering of that wing, not a great day for flying along the swamp canals. Bob