Old July 29th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1

Default Placement of Mechanical Vario in Panel?

I'm laying out a panel for a new Ventus, planning to get a Cambridge
302 flight computer. My question is where best to place my mechanical
vario in the panel.

I can either put it in a prominent position next to the 302, or in a
position lower on the panel. Depends on whether I'll be actively using
it during flights.

In my prior ship without a flight computer I needed the mechanical
vario for instant and electrical vario for average climb in thermals.
Now with a 302 that gives both instant and average climb, it's not
clear whether I should be looking at the mechical vario. Does looking
at a mechanical vario give additional useful information, or is that a
poor habit to get into (man with two watches never knows what time it
is)? Should mechnical be for power failure backup only?

I realize this is likely a matter of pilot preference, but I'd be
interested in hearing opinions on best practice for cross country
competion.

Thanks,
- Frank